Monday, November 21, 2005

Planning for 2006

Mondays are typically one of my days off from running. Today I began to think/worry/obsess about my marathon plans for 2006. I had originally committed to running the Los Angeles Marathon again (for the third time).

I ran it in the first time in 2004. The temperatures topped out that day in the low 90’s. Everyone’s marathon times were effected. I added 50 minutes to my previous marathon time. So there and then I committed to running it again in 2005. I did much better in 2005 but told myself at the end that I was “so done with LA”. Twice was enough. Monday after the marathon, my training partner, C, was all excited to do it again with the hopes of improving our times even more. I committed to run LA with her one last time in 2006.

As it turns out she and I and another friend from Boston were all accepted into the New York City Marathon in November 2005. Unfortunately, C ended up with a stress fracture that kept her out of NYC. Her doctor has ordered 12 weeks no running or load bearing exercises on her ankle. It is doubtful that she will be able to run LA. Another friend, T, is running the Napa Valley Marathon on March 5, 2006. I am seriously considering running this one instead of LA. I have the full support of my wife. Yippee, I can almost always guarantee being able to run a marathon, if it is somewhere were my wife wants to visit! This all sounds good, huh. I don’t have to run LA for the third time, and I the endorsement from my wife to go to Napa. But of course there has to be a wrinkle. Why else would I be thinking about this?

The issue or possible issue is that I will be out of the country for 2.5 weeks until January 14. After taking that kind of break will I be ready to run a marathon in 7 weeks. I don’t know what kind of effect a 2.5 week hiatus from running will have on my fitness or running ability. I started running June 2003 and have never stopped for more week after each marathon. Is two and a half weeks going to have an impact? Will seven weeks be long enough to get ready for Napa? Seven weeks only allows me one long run. With my marathon times I should be fine, but I still have to obsess. Napa will be my third marathon in 4 months (NYC in Nov 2005, Las Vegas in Dec 2005 then Napa). The break my actually be good for me. I just don’t kow.

No comments: