Now I know why I hate going to the doctor. Once I finally admit that I need their services it is nearly impossible to get in to see them. Admittedly part of this is my own fault due to work schedules and a planned vacation.
I called a doctor in the clinic I usually use. They had an orthopedist/sports medicine guy. He had an appointment on the May 24; 10 days from the day I called. That wasn't going to work because I was planning on being in Carpinteria camping. But then the scheduler found an opening on the 15th due to a cancellation. I took it, but I would be seeing one of the docs PA's first as the doc was in high demand.
Later that day I got a call from the clinic. That appointment "was made in error, could I reschedule for Friday?" Friday is my travel day to the big annual trade show for my industry, so that wasn't going to work. The next time that our schedules coincided was Tuesday, May 29. I wasn't thrilled about that but I took the appointment. I figured two weeks off the foot would probably do it some good anyway.
Later that day Celeste suggested that I give her orthopedist a call. (As a side note, Celeste came back to work for us just last week. So now I'm not a lone soldier in my department anymore and I have a running buddy to commiserate with, Yeah!). Her doc was able to see me on Wednesday at 9:45. I snatched that appointment up.
The doc seemed pretty knowledgeable. He asked about how long it has hurt, whether I changed shoes, etc... He took an x-ray just to see. Of course stress fractures aren't usually found in an x-ray but it is a place to start. The x-ray were unremarkable, no sign of fracture as expected. He also prodded and poked my foot. There was no pain associated with this. Normally the point of the fracture is quite sensitive. Since I'm able to walk without a limp and from everything else he heard and saw he thinks I may just have tendonitis. He prescribed an anti-inflammatory and said he wanted to see me in two weeks. If I still had pain he would send me for a bone scan or MRI to definitively rule out the stress fracture.
I'm pretty much OK with taking the two weeks off. Over the weekend and until Tuesday, May 22. I will be at the trade show. Then I will be in Carp camping until Sunday, May 27. Then things get a little bothersome. The first of the two half marathons is Monday the 28th, Memorial Day. The doc wants to see me on the 30th. So instead of waiting two weeks I have an appointment set up with the doc on Wednesday the 23, the only day I'll actually be home before the race.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the meds will improve the pain (and they should if it is just tendonitis). If the darn thing is still aching then I have a decision to make.
What do you think the odds are that I'll run the half marathon on Memorial Day?