Friday, January 02, 2009

2008 Ups and Downs

2008 could be called “The Year That Darrell’s Legs Gave Up”. 2008 was my lowest mileage year, 750.2, about half the 3 years preceding it. I had three months with less than 50 miles and two with big fat zeros.

2008 was the year of the stress fracture, the shin splints, and most recently the strained quad coupled with a super duper case of IT band syndrome that has kept me from running, not for lack of trying, since Memphis.

2008 was the year of my first ever DNS when I had to back out of the Catalina Marathon in March due to the stress fracture and then my second DNS at Big Sur in April. I didn’t even bother to sign up for the inaugural Big Bear Marathon in September and the Pasadena Marathon in November. I ultimately had to bow out of my first attempt at a 30K at Twin Peaks, rescheduled from February to December.

2008 was the year that I was only able to move 2% closer to my goal of 50 states by adding Tennessee to the list in December. I have gotten 4 states in previous years.

2008 was the year that all my race times were slower, well beyond anything nearing a PR, almost back to square one race times.

Even with all that, 2008 was a year full of incredible running experiences.

2008 was the year I started off on the trails. I ran the Boney Mountain 21K in January, rescheduled from October the prior year by wildfires. It was a tough 21K, but I love the trails.

2008 was the year that I was able to continue on the trails by finally running the Winter Trail Run Series put on by Baz in the mountains of the Cleveland National Forest. I ran the series with my running buddies Terry and Mike. Jim and Julie from the Cruisers were there as well. Even though this was the beginning of the stress fracture it was a hoot heading to those trails every other week for the four race series.

2008 was the year I ran the sloppy, muddy, rainy, windy, hilly, whole heck of a lot of fun Mission Gorge Trail 15K. Tyler volunteered at the finish line and was soaked through the bone as well. I’m still a little miffed that he didn’t save me a finisher’s medal (wink, wink).

2008 was the year that I cheered for runners at the finish line of Big Sur along with my friend Kitty, also on the DL. We rang some good cow bell out there. The night before the race I had an enjoyable dinner with Donald, Eric & Michelle, and Dori and her husband. Tyler ran the second leg of the marathon as part of 4 Cruisers relay teams. He went on to run leg 3 up Hurrican Point as well. It was a great weekend in a beautiful place.

2008 was the year I made my running comeback at the Surf City 5K on July 4th. The time was not stellar but I was glad to be running again.

2008 was the year I was able to run the last 2 races of the Summer Trail Series in Peter’s Canyon. It seemed only appropriate to balance the Winter Trail Series with the Summer Trail Series. I ran into to Jeff for the first time in a long time and was able to meet his wife and little guy, tc.

2008 was the year I got to spend the weekend with my wife in a cute little hotel in Crestline and I ran the Run Through the Pines Half Marathon. Four loops around Lake Gregory accompanied by half dozen or so of my Cruisers buddies.

2008 was the year I finally gave in and ran the Long Beach Half Marathon. Many locals use this as a precursor to Los Angeles Marathon in March. I paced my friend Terry for the first half and she went on to finish the full.

2008 was the year we made a trek to Temecula for a day of wine tasting that starting off with me setting my 10K PR of 55:45. This race was one week prior to my scheduled marathon. The quad pain that had been bothering me for a while was evident at the start but seemed to dissipate during the run. It seemed to grow worse as the week wore on. I hobbled through 3 miles two days after the race and didn’t run again until Memphis.

2008 was Year 3 of the December Blogger Reunion. I met Joe and David in Tennessee. Joe and I ran a very enjoyable 26.2 miles through Memphis, hitting Beale Street twice plus an extra trip for post race barbeque. I finally crossed the 13th marathon off the list.

In a nut shell my races were:
Boney Mountain - 21K
Winter Trail Run Series – 12K, 15K, 18K, & 21K
Mission Gorge Trail Run – 15K
Surf City 5K
Peters Canyon Summer Trails Series #2 & #3 – 5 Miles
Run Through The Pines – 13.1 Miles
Long Beach Half – 13.1 Miles
Temecula Turkey Trot – 10K
Memphis St. Jude Marathon – 26.2 Miles

Post Memphis I decided to give my self the luxury of a full week off. That stretched to two when it became apparent that running on my right leg was an impossibility. The pain with each impact radiated from my knee to my hip accompanied by a sense that the whole thing would collapse mid stride. On December 19, I tried to do a Christmas Light Fun Run with the Cruisers but I ended up having to walk 90% of the 2 mile loop.

Since then I have put all my efforts into riding the stationary bike at the gym and walking. Since I been on vacation for the last two weeks, I’ve taken at least a 5 mile walk everyday since Christmas with all but one of those being on my Bonelli 5 Mile loop. The hip doesn’t hurt while riding the bike and the pain is tolerable while walking.

2008 was a forgettable year and a memorable year, like most years I guess. Up next - my plans, hopes, wishes and dreams for 2009.

9 comments:

Joe said...

I am so sorry that quad is still giving you fits!! Wow, that's been a while now and should be coming around. Kind of puts a damper on things for you, I know. 2009 should be better...hope you can get to the sports doc before too long.

Much more to write about the Winter Trail series...I'll email you.

Here's to a better 2009!!

Backofpack said...

Great recap Darrell. You had a tough year, but some great highlights despite it all. Hope the quad thing heals soon and you're back on the trails. Happy 2009!

Jessica DeLine said...

Sounds like you mostly had an up year to me with just a few down spots. You accomplished quite a lot despite your circumstance! Good recap!

Billy said...

I applaud you for keeping your wits about ya and getting right back on the horse.

Here's to a healthy and productive '09 for you!

Jean said...

Darrell, that was quite a year. I wish you much success and healthy running in 2009 and beyond. All the best!

Unknown said...

Stay positive.
Seems every one had a down year in 2008. I know I did.
Regardless, 08 is in the past and 09 is wide open for positive things to happen.

-Keep training.

Email me if you can. (See your last response to my Blog entry)

Lindsay said...

still a good year even though you were dealt a few bad cards. you are still alive and still running, afterall. here's to a healthier and speedier 2009!

David said...

If it weren't for all those good times you had in 2008 I'd suggest you put in for a federal bailout.

Donald said...

Good recap of the year. It was great to meet you in the spring. I really admire the way you remained optimistic (on the blog, at least) even during your low points of no running.

Good luck and good health in 2009!