Saturday, April 08, 2006

Long Run and Big News

This morning I met the Cruisers at Rio Java Coffee Shop in Yorba Linda. I had 16 miles on the schedule today. I was planning on taking this run nice and slow. The rest of the group was only doing 10 or 6. I ran with John and Rochelle at first. Our first mile was pretty darn slow - 10:59. The whole group kind of hung together for a while before we all settled into our own paces. The next 3 miles were about 9:50 pace. John and Rochelle hung with me for a total of 3.5 miles. At that point they turned back and I decided to keep going rather than going back with them and then still having to go back out for nine more miles.

We started at the coffee shop and headed west. I really like going this way because after about a mile runners have the choice of running on the asphalt bike path or on a decomposed granite/dirt path that meanders along side it. I usually choose the DG. If we head east its asphalt all the way.

I ran out for 8 miles and then back to the car. No temptation that way to jump in and call it a day. Not likely I would have done that anyway, but why take the chance. After I was running alone, I tried to keep the pace nice and easy, but I sped up. My pace for those 12 miles was 9:00 minute miles. Overall the run took 2:28 for a pace of 9:15.

I took half a pack of Tangerine Power Gel at 8 miles. I didn't really feel like I needed it but thought it would be a good idea to get into the routine of taking them if I'm going to be ramping up for a marathon. I took the rest of between mile 12 and 13.

This run is the longest run I've done, excluding NYC and Vegas Marathons, since October 15 last year. At the end of the run, I felt really good, like I could have kept going if I had to.

Now for the Big News (and in answer to Rae's question a couple of days ago) -
As soon as I finished Vegas I went in search of my next marathon. I had several things to consider at the time. My trip to India took me out of running commission for January. I also had to consider a trip to Ohio for my brother's wedding in April; next week now.

Terry and I were originally considering Napa, but I really wouldn't have had enough time to prepare for it. Terry backed out somewhere along the way and Napa is in Californian (duh!) and I've already knocked that one off my list (three times actually, LA twice and Rock and Roll San Diego).

Some of the Cruiser's were heading up to Vancouver in May. I think it would be a beautiful marathon, but I'm so focused on the state thing, I decided I wasn't ready to start countries yet.

I really wanted to find something in June or July so that I could take February easy and then ramp into the 18 week program I mentioned last week. The list of possibilities included: Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon in South Dakota, Salt Lake City (although I really had my eye on Park City or St. George for Utah), Grandma's in Minnesota or Pacific Crest in Sun River, Oregon.

Then I saw the perfect one - The SEAFAIR Marathon in Bellevue, Washington. It's on July 9th, two days before my 45th birthday and I've always wanted to go the Seattle. I have this weird romantic idea that I want to retire there, even though I've never even been there. Of course, my wife, the practical one, thinks we should at least visit first. Anyway, it has been on my wish list. I even figured out my training program with the hope that I would be able to do it. On Thursday, we bought the tickets and I mailed in my registration. Woo hoo. My 6th state, Washington, and Happy Birthday to Me, here I come.

On Monday of this last week some of the Cruisers also submitted our names into the lottery for St. George. The pictures and reports I've heard about this one say that it is absolutely beautiful. If all goes well I'll knock off two more states this year. At this rate, I'll have all 50 by 2028. I'll ONLY be 67 years old, Yikes! So, Vancouver in 2029?

8 comments:

jeanne said...

Nice work on the 16 miles! And sounds like a great plan for seattle!

Anonymous said...

yay for long runs!!!

And WOO HOO!!! on your Washington marathon, what fun!

Unknown said...

woohooooo! i ran that race last year and it was AWESOME. it was the best organized event that i'd ever done and it was it's first year. i was very impressed. they've changed the course a bit this year since it was nightmarishly hilly last year, so you'll get a flatter course that i had. i loved it, though, hills and all.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I've not done the race in Van. Did the half in Victoria - I'd like to go back there for the full.

We'll be marathoning the same day except I'll be doing mine in Calgary which would have been another good choice had you not already paid...lol.

Good luck with your training and nice job on the 16 miles.

Unknown said...

Darrell, If you want to get together for a pre race dinner the night before let me know. Maybe there will be some other bloggers in the area doing the race as well. I ran the half last year and am not sure what I am doing this year. I had it on my schedule, and then took it off, but will probably put it back on. I will be there in one capacity or another.

Unknown said...

The acceptance of the marathon... putting on your calendar... it pen! That is a great feeling. I find that things start to become clearer when I have committed to a marathon.

Good job on the long run too...

Anne said...

That is indeed a great area, to race and to retire. Let's hope the legs recover quickly so you have plenty of time to explore after the marathon.

Rae said...

Very cool!! I think Seattle is beautiful, I loved our visit there. I know they get their fair share of rain but our whole week there was fantastic.

Sounds like a great plan to me!