Monday, June 25, 2007

Great Minds

We were all pretty much on our own tonight for dinner. Lisa was at the hospital visiting her Mom. She's been in there since Friday suffering from some kind of blood infection that has settled in her knee, which had been replaced about 10 years ago. Bryan was at work. Tyler was at the gym with his friend. I had come home from work early to help Tyler take the dog to the vet. She's 13 and was acting quite peculiarly. She's was diagnosed with Vestibular Disease. She was experiencing vertigo symptoms and was acting like a drunken sailor. The vet said the symptoms could last for 72 hours, but 5 hours later she seems to be doing much better. She's even eaten and drank water.

Anyway, I ate dinner early (left overs) and decided to put my run off until it cooled down a little. After the run I went to the grocery store to pick up some dessert. We like to have a scoop of ice cream nearly every night. I had just picked out a couple of half gallons and was on my way over to grab a bag of Chocolate Chip cookies. As I turned the corner at the end of the aisle I almost ran into Lisa. She had stopped at the store on the way home from the hospital for the same thing. She had a bag of cookies in her hand and was on her way to the ice cream aisle when we ran into each other. Great minds! We sure had a good laugh about that one.

Tonight's run was over in Bonelli for 3.3 miles. I did the Picnic Loop with little added spur trail along the lake.

My mileage last week was 16.1. My goal next week is to finally break 20 miles again. Sunday I wanted to get a run in and I really wanted to try to stay on dirt. The Via Verde horse trail is only 3 miles, I wanted more than that. I was apprehensive about repeating my Sunday Morning Bonelli loop as I had done it Wednesday and experienced a few little twinges on the top and side of my foot a couple of days after that. I finally remembered the Cottontail Trail that I used to take last year with Bryan on the bike. It is about half on dirt and basically flat. I hadn't done this since we lost Daylight Savings last fall. It is funny how a run that was a staple last summer had been out of my repertoire for so long I had forgotten about it.

Today is the official start date of the MCM training. I also realized on my run that I had just run 3 days in a row. It's been weeks since that happened. Keep your fingers crossed that my foot holds up to the increased frequency. I made it through 4 days last week, but not without minor reminders from my foot. I'm not sure how it will react to a 5 day week. I'm more than a little anxious about the outcome.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Cookies and Ice Cream... what a great woman!

Wes said...

Cookies? ICE CREAM? I thought this was Darrell's blog, but I think its been taken over by the DEVIL :-) Tempt me not!! LOL. I keep my fingers crossed for you, bro!

Joe said...

The path to MCM gets rolling... very cool. It will be interesting to hear your observations as you go along comparing your Eugene prep with the MCM prep.

Hope your MIL's knee improves...that's a tough situation.

Scott McMurtrey said...

hey, first day of official training for the mcm. great luck! and i hope the foot thing isn't going to be a long term issue.

SoberMommie said...

Good luck with your training! I will follow you along your path and check on your progress.=) Wishing you happy *painfree* running!!

Anonymous said...

I knew as soon as I read the title what your blog was going to be about, and I'm still laughing. Great minds is right!! :)

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

You will rock at the MCM, good luck with the training. I got rained out this morning, so I might try to run tonight, if we don't eat too late.

Anne said...

I accompanied my neighbor to the vet hospital earlier this week and her dog was diagnosed with the same thing. She thought she was going to have to put the dog down but there are apparently drugs to help -- and they have. Hope the same is true for your pooch.

And good luck with the training.

Sarah said...

Funny about the ice cream and cookies! : ) Best of luck with your MCM training.

David said...

I could fit in very nicely with you and Lisa. I'll even go for the ice cream and cookies every third week.