Monday, July 14, 2008

The Big Question

After not running for nearly three months and anticipating being released to run again I wondered to myself and aloud to some friends "What if I don't love it any more?" It had me a little worried that I would even have the thought.

It has been difficult to explain to others how running 5 days a week and multiple marathons was fun. I can't really explain it to myself. I'm not an athlete, but running was something I enjoyed. After the injury the first week or so was really difficult. After a while though, I got used to not running. I guess that's what scared me into thinking I wouldn't enjoy it any more.

I still think about the big question. Sunday evening I headed over to Bonelli for an easy 3 miler. I headed out on what I call the Cottontail Trail a little after 8:00 p.m.

The sun had officially set while I was running but there was still plenty of light to navigate by. I was sharing the trail with no one but the namesake bunnies. I was at ease, enjoying the trail, the encroaching darkness, the cooling evening breeze, and the lemony smell of the eucalyptus trees when I realized I had the answer to the question.

I do still love it.

15 comments:

Wes said...

LOL. Why change who you really are?

Backofpack said...

Darrell,
I've thought about this before - I find I worry more that it will become too easy not to run after a length of time off, that I'll lose the habit of getting up early and exerting myself. I'm glad that didn't happen to you!

Jenny, Maniac #401 said...

It sure is hard to get back into things after an injury. I've been there. I am glad you still love it. :)
Jenny

Donald said...

Of course you do. We could have told you that.

David said...

That's what we like to hear. On the other hand, I know what that tempting no-running feeling can do to you. It's very hypnotic. I am glad you are feeling better.

Joe said...

Awesome, Darrell...very, very cool.

Look out bunnies...he's back in Bonelli!!!

Unknown said...

That's good news, Darrell. I've had that fear recently as well too. Especially throughout the school year. Glad to hear that the love is still there.

Unknown said...

Once you've been bitten, you can't be cured.

Unknown said...

Bonelli missed you.

Anne said...

I had the same concerns each time I came back from serious injury. You do learn to enjoy it again, but differently. Maybe because you don't quite trust your body like you used to and because you suddenly realize how precious each step can be.

Anonymous said...

Of course you do! :)

Neese said...

yeah I completely know that feeling since I don't run much haha, but when I get back to it I'm in love again, makes me wonder why I wait so long. We should sign up for a Wellington 5k some time haha, I know that's a long commute.

Catherine said...

Darrell,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sarah from Portland told me about you because of your injury. I'm starting running again, slow and easy, and I LOVE it. I will never take good health for granted again! Glad you're still enjoying it as well. It definitely gets in your blood.

iJuls said...

Hurray!

By the way, what do you mean "I'm not an athlete..."?

Anonymous said...

i wondered the same thing after not running for the last two months. and sure enough, once i'm out there, i love it :)