Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Just to Prove It To Myself

Last post I was lamenting my lack of speed. I've been in this place before. Last week I promised ex-Ohioan, Neese, that I would get back to the track this week after reading about her track session. I avoid speed work, especially at the track, even though most programs call for it and I realize the benefits of some form of speed or another.

I went back and checked my log and found out that I started track work last year at the end of January with 4 x 400's in 1:44, 1:48, 1:51, and 1:49. I committed to getting back to it. On Joe's advice I checked out the Macmillan Pace Calculator. I punched in my goal time to see my paces for different training runs. Macmillan suggested 1:34.6 to 1:40.0 for 400's. I wasn't sure I could meet that, but it gave me something to shoot for. The other good thing I found was suggested paces for long runs at 8:31 to 9:31. That made me feel better about Sunday's run.

So Tuesday, I got home from work, changed and walked out the front door intent on putting in a mile of speed at the track. After nearly a 2 mile warm up, I got to the track and started off my first 400. 1:42:01. That didn't seem so bad. A recovery lap then off for #2. 1:43:63. OK, I could still do this. Recovery lap, then #3. 1:45:13. Slowing down a bit, but I expected that. One more recovery one then the 4th and last 400. 1:42:70. Then I ran home feeling a whole lot better about my speed.

400's probably aren't a very reliable predictor of marathon speed, but now I know that I can do at least the minimum speed and do it at a pace slightly faster than last year. I will work some tempo pace runs into the mix and go from there.

On the 10:00 news they just said that it snowed today in Malibu. It hasn't snowed there in 24 years. Running in Malibu Creek State Park would have been an experience today.

9 comments:

Wes said...

I am being a good boy and patiently waiting for the time I can start speedwork. The nice thing is the Garmin I have will let me do it without a track. I must admit though, I don't relish trying to do speedwork on these hills...

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Way to go to get back to speedwork, I am a newbie Darrell but My Coach has me doing it and says its vital in maintaining a good pace for longer distances, as you already know from what you have read...

They are tough but I am getting better at them and I always walk away from the track very humbled :-)

Ryan said...

Zippity-do-da my oh my speed hurts, but it makes a big difference down the road, nice job on your repeats! In the past I’ve used Yasso 800’s for marathon training, nowadays I’ve been sticking to hill repeats but both are very challenging and beneficial!

matt said...

i saw the snow myself while working...can you believe it, darrell?

i think that is a strong improvement. i could understand why you felt so positive on the way home...great job, buddy!

Anne said...

800s are better predictors of marathon finishing times, I've found. And, yeah, pretty soon we'll see pigs flying around here.

Unknown said...

You will be well compensated for your speedwork, don't you worry.

Wish we could have ran in San Diego, perhaps in March when we come back.

Sarah said...

Good job on the speed work! I've always wanted to try the Yasso 800's, but I've never gotten around to it.....

Joe said...

Good job on the speed work, Darrell. Glad the McMillan stuff was helpful.

You will keep planning well for Eugene...keep thinking, on the ground and in the air!!

Neese said...

aw thanks for mentioning me :) so far i've only done treadmill intervals sorry if i wasn't clear on that. I heard that the Yasso 800's are a good predictor of marathon times, Bart Yasso works at Runners World so maybe you can find out more about them at their website