Monday, August 31, 2009

W14D1

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

I started off my last week of marathon training by sliding everything up a day. I figured the extra rest day before the marathon (and a travel day) would be a good idea. So instead of a rest day I was running 5 miles easy.

When we left work it was 100 degrees and dry as a bone. The air quality was well into the unhealthful region due to the wild fires burning to the north west of us. My first mile was done on the treadmill as a warm up before working out with the trainer. We combined biceps and chest today. It was killer. When I left there at 6:00 the temperature was still well north of 90 and the air was looking pretty bad.

I figured the best course of action was to head over to my other gym and use the treadmill for 4 miles. The only problem is Monday is really crowded there and there's technically a 20 minute limit on cardio machines. I contemplated waiting until 9:00 or 10:00 when the crowds would have thinned out a bit, but, on the way home I witness several other intrepid (stupid) souls out running on the streets.

So against better judgement I headed over to Bonelli for my favorite little 4 miler. The schedule called for easy but due to the conditions I took it "very easy". My pace for the 4 miles was just a little over 11:00 per mile - very easy for sure.

Bonelli, and the park and ride lot, were quieter than usual, but I was far from the only one out braving the elements. That made me feel a little better about my decision.

Tomorrow I rest. Heat and crappy air be damned.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Be careful. There's a lot of very bad toxins in that air that can kick in days later, when you need to be feeling your best. And, geez, I thought my gym's 30-minute cardio limit was restrictive. 20 minutes?!

Wes said...

way to get'er done... hoping for some rain for you guys!!