Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Called Off Not Phoned In

Today's speed workout called for 10 x 400 (with 400m rests). It would have been an 8 mile workout. I was really looking forward to it because 3 weeks ago I did a similar workout and nailed it.

We've been enjoying some very warm, almost summer like, weather here in So Cal. My kind of weather. I love the sunshine. The temperature at noon was just shy of 80 degrees without a cloud in the sky and no breeze to be heard of. My kind of weather. Sitting at the beach kind of weather.

I found out soon enough that today it wasn't exactly good 400 meter repeat weather. I started off just fine with my usual 2 mile warm up and then began the repeats. My times were actually right on target at 1:42, 1:39, 1:46, 1:47, 1:46, and 1:53, but it was taking everything I had to stick with it. My legs felt like lead and I just wasn't mentally ready for the warmth. This weather in the summer would have actually been expected and I've run plenty of times in 80 or greater temps and enjoyed it. Today it kicked my butt, in a bad way.

After the 6th repeat at mile 5 I decided to call it off rather than phoning it in. I could of probably made the next 4 repeats and the mile back to the car, but I'd have been miserable. The mile cool down I did was at 12:00 pace, nearly a walking pace.

I was a little bummed that I'd caved. I haven't done that in a while, especially on this plan. I got in some extra cross training this evening by taking the R.I.P.P.E.D. class at the gym. It's a good kick in the butt, in a good way. It isn't running but it gets the heart a-pumping and the sweat a-flowing.

2 comments:

Joe said...

It is wild how we get used to certain temperatures in a certain season and variations really throw us. I went out in 29 this morning and it felt comfortable and warm, as I was grateful to be out of the teens!

Probably wise to not bonk over the lunch hour. The temps will moderate. Plus, you are RIPPED (or do I say "radio india papa papa echo delta?)

Wes said...

wait... 12 mm is a walking pace? holy crap!! :-)

jealous of you weather!! but glad you called it off. You'll nail it again next time.