Monday, December 26, 2005

Favorite Training Run of 2005

Presidents Day, February 21, 2005. I had taken the day off work since the kids and wife all had the day off. It turned out to be a dark rainy kind of day. It rained alot (by southern CA standards) this year. I don't really mind running in the ran, except for the darn bloody nipples from the wet shirt. The rain is usually infrequent enough that it doesn't really mess with a running schedule.

Anyway it was raining/drizzling off and on all day. I was pacing the house like a caged animal. My wife finally said "will you please go for a run before you drive us all crazy!" I guess I need some more hobbies or something. I left the house during a dry spell and went over to Bonelli Park. I usually run the paved path around the picnic areas. For some reason I decided to go explore the trails.

It was an absolute blast. In most places the trails was overgrown with waist high mustard and only single track wide. Of course soon after I started the drizzle came back. The trails were a muddy, sloppy mess but I loved every step of it. It was only a couple of miles, but it was a FUN. I wrote in my log under "How I Felt: ALIVE" and I really did. I have done this trail since and still enjoy it but that first muddy and wet encounter was the best!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the great thing about wet trail running in our area is the high clay content in the soil. it makes things slippery as snot and brings out the kid in us all!

here's to an equally great run in 2006!

Rae said...

Those are the great kinds of runs that make you feel like a kid just out exploring and having fun - no worries about races, splits or pace! Hope you have many more of them in 06!