Thursday, December 01, 2005

Maybe I shouldn't have, but I HAD to!

I went out for an easy 3 miler today (27:36), no big deal right?

Well if you aren't a runner you will probably think I'm crazy. If you are a runner you might not have done it but at least you'll understand. You know that I had to do it.

This being the taper week for the New Las Vegas Marathon, I had planned a couple of easy 3-5 milers just to keep my legs from stiffening up. Unfortunately on Monday I started coming down with this cold/flu thing that seems to be zapping everybody currently. I always take Monday off anyway so no big deal, but there was no way I could run on Tuesday. I came home 1/2 day sick from work with a 102 fever. I spent that evening in bed under all the covers I could find. I took Wednesday off from work still a little feverish and achey. This thing sure magnified every little ache and pain that I've had in the last couple of months - ankles, knees, hips, you name it; it hurt.

Today I felt better so I went to work. Besides, I don't think I could take another day of daytime TV. Where do they find these people? I felt pretty good most of the day, not 100% by any means, but OK. When I got home I had to make a decision - go for a short run or not. Since Monday I had been worried that I wouldn't be well in time for Vegas. I felt better but would a run drive me back to bed? I decided to go and felt good. I am tired now but I think with two more days rest I will be good to go for Vegas. I already knew that Vegas wasn't a time goal marathon, having just done NYC 4 weeks earlier. Vegas was all about the experience of running The Strip. Besides I remember my wife telling me a couple of months ago that you can only run the inaugural race once and she's rarely wrong! So I have to go run Vegas on Sunday and I had to go for a run today.

What would you have done?

4 comments:

Mark said...

I'da done what you did. :)

Hey, are you hooking up with the other RBF members going to Vegas?

Anonymous said...

You're right---I'm rarely ever wrong! And you shouldn't have done it, because today you feel like crap again.....We'll have to find a way to sneak you out of the course and across that finish line. And not on a stretcher! Geez, the things you will do for a weekend without the kids! xxxooo

Love2Run said...

Oh, oh! That should have been 'never wrong' ;-) I seem to remember that inaugural runners get guaranteed forever status. Good luck on the weekend, have fun without the kids!!

Darrell said...

you are both right