Sunday, July 23, 2006

Summit House Run

For what it's worth I see this is my 100th post!

Saturday morning while I was getting ready for my run I heard the air conditioner kick in. It was only 5:30 a.m. and I've got the thermostat set to 80 degrees. This was not a good sign.

I drove down to Fullerton to meet the Cruisers for Jesse's Summit House Run. After an initial snafu over the course (a couple of gates were unexpectedly locked) we got started. Jesse wasn't running because he had hurt his hamstring doing speed work the night before. We were joined by a good sized contingent from the 6:42 group as well.

The run was on streets through a nice quite neighborhood in Fullerton. It worked out well that Jesse wasn't running. He drove back and forth on the course giving directions as our group got more and more spread out. Jesse added in an extra hill run up and down Acacia Avenue and a loop through and around Hillcrest park for the front group, me, Dave, Jim, Randy, Michelle and Ana. It worked out really well because we caught up to the slower runners just as they reached the gate to get back to Summit House, 5 miles for them, 7 for us. The original plan was do run the loop twice. We decided just to double back on Skyline drive to Hillcrest Park then back up Skyline again and around to State College to get back to Summit House.

I added a second loop through Hillcrest Park alone and then caught up to Kitty and Kara to finish the run, with 12.7 miles. I commented to Kitty that with the hills on Skyline Dr., I felt like we were back in Bellevue. Although we did end up running the same stretch of asphalt three times is was a really enjoyable run. Skyline drive is rolling and curving and at the highest point in Fullerton. Traffic was nearly non existent and we were accompanied by several other runners and walkers. After all none of us, except Jesse and Michelle, had run here before.

This is one cool thing I find about running, besides pushing myself physically and mentally, I also get pushed geographically. We spend so much time with our routine travels from work, school, kids sports activities, etc. that we rarely venture off our well worn paths. Especially in SoCal we spend so much time on the freeways where everything starts looking pretty much the same mile after mile that we forget that there are plenty of interesting neighborhoods and town centers in this metropolis of LA/Orange County.

This morning thankfully the air conditioner hadn't kicked in before I left for my run. I was planning on going to Bonelli as usual, but couldn't decide which 5 mile route to take. My hilly route that I like or the flatter newly minted Cottontail Run. I'm not sure if it is just the heat or the post marathon fatigue but my legs have felt pretty flat lately. I hadn't made up my mind for sure until I got there and realized I had forgotten my watch, so Cottontail it was. Don't ask my why, I'm not even sure myself, but somehow no watch meant take the easier route. I'm glad I did because by mile 4 I was pooped and took a walk break for a very long "minute" (no watch remember). On the drive home the dashboard readout was 85 degrees, it wasn't even 8:00 a.m. yet.

After breakkfast I checked up on Sam Thompson's 50 state progress. Last Wednesday he put in his fastest marathon of this trek on the 19th of 50 at Twin Cities. Amazing!

Miles for the week: 33.7

8 comments:

matt said...

darrell, i have been wondering if the heat is making my legs a little flat, too. i am going running in a little while, but this weather is tripping me out. did you see the lightning today? incredible stuff in the middle of sweltering heat.

hey, you hit some pretty good mileage this week not too long after the marathon. way to go, buddy!

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

Great job on an early morning run.

Anonymous said...

happy 100th post! :)

Jessica DeLine said...

congrats on 100 posts :)

Unknown said...

Sam's been pretty consistent with his marathon times. It's amazing what the human body can be put through.

We've had the heat up here so you might think you were in California if you were here right now.

Unknown said...

yay for the 100 posts!

i ran cross country for sunny hills high school, so your talk of running through fullerton brings back fun memories. we used to run skyline, the horse trails and hillcrest often.

thank goodness for the thunderstorms on sunday morning...kept it nice and cool (80's!!) until later in the morning.

Legs and Wings said...

Hi Darrell, I run on quiet and empty back roads everyday. I guess I shouldn't complain. It's pretty good here. That heat has to wear you out. I'm with Matt, good mileage after a marathon.

Joe said...

So the legs are a little flat?? Sounds normal to me. They will come back, just take care of them like they took care of you in Bellvue!!

A century of posts...how cool!