For the most part I'm an after work runner. On the weekend I have no problem getting up at any hour to go for a run, but during the week I get up just in time to shower, eat, pack lunch, maybe iron a shirt and get to work within seconds of the official start time.
Today I had to make a decision. The plan was 6 miles with hills. My planned route was a couple of miles from home. The weather conditions were not in my favor. The temperature at 5:30 p.m. was 109F (43C) couple that with an air quality alert due to the wildfire. I considered heading south to the Powder Canyon run I'd done a while back with the Cruiser. Temps there were 105F, even the beach was 98F. I decided against a 70 mile round trip to run a flat 6 miler in those temps.
Instead I committed to being a before work runner tomorrow. I'll be setting the alarm and getting up before 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning to get my original route done. The temperature will still be on the warm side for that time of day, around 80F. I'm hoping the air quality that early will be better than later in the day when the heat rises again to an expected high of 105F.
If I could just find some humidity, it would be a great training run for Columbia, Missouri.