Friday, June 05, 2009

W1D5

Findlay State Park is just a couple of miles from my parents home in Ohio. When I was a kid our family camped there frequently. It was nice that we could pick up at a moments notice and be there. No reservations necessary. As kids, my oldest two sisters and I would wander all over the trails of the park. It seemed like we were gone forever exploring. Our parents usually had little idea of our exact whereabouts. We always made it back when we were supposed to. Times have changed.

Today I headed out to Findlay for a run on the Thorn Mountain Bike Trail. This trail didn't exist when I was a kid, but it is a fun little place to run. I ran here a couple of years ago when I was in town for a visit, my brother's wedding I think. The trail twists and turns like a snake on an acid trip. It was a little muddy, but that made it all the more fun.

The entire trail is just over 8 miles. I planned to run 6. I ran for 1:20 then walked the remaining distance back to the car. I got a little twisted around early on and ended up where I started about 20 minutes into the run. I finally figured out where I was and got on track. I figured I probably ran about 7 miles in reality.

Tonight I'm meeting with my brother and sisters to try to finalize the plans for our parents 50th wedding anniversary party in September. Another trip to Ohio so I hope another spin around the bike trail at Findlay State Park.

No comments: