Saturday, June 20, 2009


The graduation ceremony went off without a hitch. By the way things went it wasn't too difficult to tell that the place is a liberal arts school in California. All the regular pomp and circumstance was just a bit more casual and twisted than you might find at an East Coast Ivy League school. The place is full of talented out-of-the-box folks, both teachers and students. Afterwards we headed over to the Little Italy section of downtown San Diego from some great Italian food (of course). Ten friends and family enjoyed a wonderful meal at Cafe Zucchero.

We had made arrangements to spend the night in San Diego, so I woke up this morning and ran 4 miles on the San Diego River Pedestrian and Bike Trail. Being concrete, the trail is very well suited to pedestrians and bikes. Concrete is not a runner's best friend, at least not this runner, but for a one off run it was a nice little route.

On the way home we accidentally came across Road Runner Sports store headquarterd near San Diego. We decided to stop in and Lisa bought me a couple of pairs of shorts and new shirt as a Father's Day gift. The RRS stuff was buy one get 40% off a second item. Can't pass up a sale. While I was there I decided to have a running analysis done. It seems that I've been using the right style shoe - stability - all along. It is always good to have confirmation, especially in light of the last two years injuries.

We made a leisurely trip back home by 2:00 in the afternoon. Tyler and his girlfriend on the other hand had left San Diego at 5:30 a.m. to rush home to spend the rest of the day doing food prep and final arrangements for a 75th birthday party with appetizers, salads, main dishes and desserts for 60 people. They have been doing a couple of catering jobs on the side but this is their most ambitious project to date. They've been prepping for the better part of the week. The graduation ceremony mid stream just when the major work needed to be done added an extra little wrinkle to the whole project.

I pitched in a little at the end by helping grill some steaks and picking up the cakes that had been stored in Grandma's fridge and delivering them to the party. Otherwise the two of them did all the work on their own and from the reviews I heard at the party (we were invited guests) the clients and their guests were very happy with the food. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a new venture.

No comments: